OceanGate Expeditions said it had “ceased all research and commercial operations” after its Titan submersible allegedly imploded during a dive to investigate the wreck of the Titanic last month, killing the company’s founder and four other people.

The company, which is based in Everett, Wash., made the announcement in at the top of its websiteabove images of previous Titanic explorations and a link to learn more about how to “investigate the world’s most famous shipwreck.”

It was not clear when the message was added to the company’s website. There were no further details from the OceanGate, which did not immediately respond to an email.

On board the lost submarine was Stockton Rush, 61, the founder and chief executive of OceanGate Expeditions, who pilots the ship; Hamish Harding, 58, British businessman and researcher; Paul-Henri Nargeolet, 77, French maritime expert; Shahzada Dawood, 48, a British Pakistani businessman, and his son, Suleman, 19.

They set sail in the ship on June 18 to view the remains of the Titanic 12,500 feet into the sea, but less than two hours into the dive, the ship lost contact with a Canadian expedition ship on the surface, about 400 miles south of St. John’s, Newfoundland.

Days later, debris from the ship was found on the ocean floor. The discovery of the debris, including Titan’s tail cone and other pieces, suggested a “catastrophic implosion” with no survivors, according to the US Coast Guard. On June 28, after an international search-and-rescue operation ended, the Coast Guard said that debris and presumed human remains from the submersible had been recovered and returned to land.

The Coast Guard has convened a marine research commission, its highest level of investigation, to examine what happened. The board is working closely with other national and international agencies that responded to the event, including authorities from Canada, the United Kingdom and France.

By admin

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *